Monday, January 08, 2007

The Yuletide Overfloweth!

On what is supposed to be a relaxing evening at home while the kids spend the night with their dad, I'm greeted with a toilet that hasn't been flushed. Buzz has had a fascination with wet wipes, and despite the admonishments of Lotus, does what he darn well pleases. The wet wipes container is sitting next to the toilet. You do the math. I didn't.

Not a biggie, they haven't flushed before. So I feed the dogs, lock the piggish one in the bathroom, flush the toilet, and leave. I wash a few dishes, check a few e-mails, change into something more comfortable. Then I hear it. The waterfall. In the bathroom. Uh, oh.

Okay, so I've handled an overflowing toilet before. I'll go get the plunger. But this toilet is a bit different. You see, it runs. Unless you jiggle the handle. Apparently I didn't jiggle enough.

A couple of thick towels later, a splashing plunge job, and we're good to go. Mop the floor several times, change clothes, and sit down to relax.

My brother comes home and wants to know why the basement is flooded. He thinks maybe the heavy rains of yesterday are seeping through the cracked basement floor. I go check it out. Of course, the puddle is right under the bathroom. But it's not just a puddle. It must have been a big splasher. Five feet away, there's water on TOP of the boxes of Christmas ornaments, not just at the bottom.

I'm not sure how the water got into the boxes. Apparently went in the top of the top box and out the bottom of the bottom box, and the boxes were not under the toilet nor the pipes. There is nothing wet above the boxes. A mystery. So now, I have to repack all of the Christmas ornaments, and I have no boxes. I'll have to let them dry and then repack. I'm sure I can get some cheapie Christmas boxes on sale somewhere.

Maybe.

Ah, well, time for some chocolate. It's dawn in South Africa, and the webcam is on. Time to see what wildlife awaits before turning in for the night.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Princess Mom said...

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! :(

4:12 PM  
Blogger ORION said...

OK.
Imagine this.
Sailboat.
Head overflow.
Walking in S*** up to your ankles.
Feel better?

1:04 PM  
Blogger Zany Mom said...

Eeeewww! Of course, all I'm going to think of every Christmas is that some of these boxes and ornaments were bathed in poopy water, no matter how much I clean and repack!

Sh** up to your ankles?? How did you ever clean *that* up? I think I'd have to sink the boat...

Watch, that'll be the first thing that happens when I get an RV. Black tank overflow. ICK!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Holly Kennedy said...

Funny blog! Toilets. What a headache. I had to change the seal on all four of them in my house a week after we moved in -- so reading about your trouble made me shiver!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home