Sunday, January 07, 2007

Just Say Yes!

People wonder how I have such a cool relationship with my kids. How we can talk about anything. And joke. And just have a good time, without all of the usual parent/kid angst.

A big part of it is being where my kids are. I watch their TV shows with them and ask questions, even if I personally hate the show. I offer no judgments, just enjoy it with them. And you know what? A lot of it does have redeeming qualities, even if presented in a totally hokey, over-the-top manner. To answer the unspoken question, yes, I do like SpongeBob SquarePants. Now. He grew on me. Like a barnacle. ;)

I find ways to say yes. A lot. No is saved for the big stuff.

I try to do things with them that we haven't done before, as often as possible. Sometimes we do something we've already done, because we know it will be fun. Just to get out, away from the daily grind.

We hug -- a LOT. And touch. Back scratches. Shoulder rubs. Head pats. Forehead kisses.

I thank them when they do something unexpected and thoughtful. When they do something helpful without being asked.

I give them things they're not expecting, because I know they will enjoy it.

We smile, joke, and laugh.

I stopped listening to my mother's nagging voice inside my head, the one that screams, "But you'll spoil them!"

And you know what? They're the most unspoiled, caring, compassionate, helpful kids I know. Of course I'm biased.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Princess Mom said...

Kids get spoiled by getting things instead of parental attention. They get spoiled by watching their parents buy big ticket items on a whim and refusing to let them do the same. They get spoiled by listening to and parroting their parents whining about how unfair their boss/spouse/wife is. Not from being an affectionate parent with a genuine interest in their lives.

4:17 PM  
Blogger The Princess Mom said...

Of course, you knew that. :D

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home