Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

I never make any formally, because I know the best of intentions tend to go awry, and I have a bad habit of feeling guilty for not following through, thanks to years of mom's voice echoing inside my head.

I usually have a few things, though, that I'd like to change or improve. Not a comprehensive list, nor a mandate. Just some rough guidelines, maybe.

I'd like to learn to play the keyboard. Got one for Christmas. Lots of cool features, including a self-tutorial. Fun already, even without beginner keyboard books. Kids love it, too.

Less procrastination. I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD, though I'm probably borderline. That, coupled with my introversion and needing 100% peace and quiet, I tend to put off stuff because I can't concentrate. Then I waste time doing mindless stuff, like websurfing the same websites, even though they haven't changed, and aren't going to change, at least not for the next 24 hours. But they *might*. So I check. Just in case. I'd like to funnel that energy into something more productive.

Eat healthier. No specific diet. At my age, I know what foods agree with me, and which ones don't. Eat more of the good stuff, less of the bad. Not too hard.

Exercise more. I was exercising faithfully until I took the job from hell. Now I'm just plain unmotivated. But my brother and I made an informal pact: exercise more come Jan. 2. No sense starting on New Year's Day because of all of the goodies dumped on us by the relatives.

Write more. Focus on finishing novel #2. Start novel #3. See if #1 remotely is salable. Work on the hook. Beta readers welcome.

Spend more time with my kids. Yes, even being with them nearly 24/7, we get immersed into our own projects and don't spend as much time together as I'd like. We've all agreed to have more game nights, story nights (even though they're perfectly capable of reading themselves), and movie nights. American Idol is about to start up again, and we had a blast last season watching it all unfold. Of course, the fact that we ran into the contestants at the Hollywood Bowl last year on our trip to California got us interested.

Breathe. Travel. Looks like we'll be taking out the pop-up camper again this year, as we continue to look for the ideal motorhome in anticipation of my early retirement and a year-long trip or more around the USA and Canada.

Happy New Year to you all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Thornton said...

Happiest of New Years to you and your kidlets!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home