Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Pursuit of Happyness

I got to see this movie over the holiday weekend. I liked it, of course. I'm always rooting for the underdog, and I love a good rags-to-riches story. What struck me, though, was how similar the story line was to my own life, and in some ways brought up some not-so-pleasant memories.

No, I was never as destitute as Chris Gardner. My kids and I have never had to sleep in a public restroom, nor bunk at a shelter. But I, too, have been in debt up to my eyeballs with the IRS and other creditors breathing down my neck. And, like Chris Gardner, I'd do anything in order to better my lot for my kids, and for me. And my ex-husband was about as supportive as a thorn bush.

A year and a half ago I'd reached my bottom. Like Chris, I needed something more. My own business was not supporting me, my kids, and my debt. I'd just left my husband, who was not about to give me child support if he could help it. So I took a full time job working a night shift, three nights a week, 14 hours a night. On top of working 3 full days at my own crumbling business.

And, I discovered, like Chris, that nobody cares about your troubles. They want you to show up, do your job, and that's it. I found out just how little support some friends and family can offer; I also found out that no matter how beaten down and exhausted I was, some friends and family wanted more from me. More work, above and beyond what I was already doing. 80+ hours a week, no day off, plus raising 2 kids. I really related to Chris when, in the movie, his wealthy boss asked him for $5 for a cab (he'd left his wallet in the office), and Chris had only $7 to his name, was sleeping in a shelter, and barely able to feed his son. OUCH! Been there.

My story doesn't have an ending -- yet. I'm now out of debt, have a savings account, and my business is really starting to pick up. And I learned an important lesson: Never give up. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something. If you want something, go get it. And I am.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Princess Mom said...

And your life is a great deal better for having hung in there. Congratulations!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home