Saturday, January 06, 2007

Kids, Unlimited

I know I've covered the unlimited TV/computer topic before, but I wanted to share something that just happened around here this week, regarding kids who are unlimited in other areas.

As you know, we're periodically bombarded with realtors traipsing through our house, which necessitates a quick clean up before a showing. Let's just say that the post-Christmas clean up was not quick, but we managed to get it done in time for a Thursday showing.

Anyway, I was up in Lotus' room, helping her gather the dirty clothes strewn across the floor, put things away, and make the bed. What did I spy high up on her dresser? A plastic Halloween pumpkin gazing down at me with his silly pseudo-carved grin. I peeked inside.

What did I find? The pumpkin was still full of candy. I asked Lotus about it, and she said she didn't want it anymore, that she was sick of it. How is it that a 12-year-old kid, with a huge bucket of candy in her room, still has >80% of it left, two months later? Lest you think Lotus isn't the kid with the sweet tooth, let me assure you that yes, she is her mother's daughter. At least when it comes to sweets. I did mention my sweet tooth, didn't I?

Also, last week, my brother brought home a dozen doughnuts unannounced. Long story, he said. Since he's not particularly fond of doughnuts, told the kids and me to eat them. I think Buzz had 2, Lotus ate 1 1/2, and the rest hit the trash 3 days later when they went stale.

Doughnuts going to waste? Candy going uneaten? What's going on here? What kinds of kids don't devour sweets?

Kids who are not desperate for sweets, because the sweets are not limited, regulated, forbidden, or derided as 'junk.' When sweets are available whenever they want, in the quantity they want. If someone didn't get enough, or needs more, we can always buy more, today if needed.

An interesting consequence when kids are truly allowed to make their own decisions about their lives, including what they eat, when they eat, and the quantity they eat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Kim, waving back from CT! You hit it - when kids are given choices and responsibility they often/sometimes/ususally rise to the occasion. GOod for your child and a salute to your Mom skills.

K

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home