Sunday, January 14, 2007

Of RVs and Campers

My brother and I headed out to the local RV show today, seeing how the realtors had us out of the house at the ungodly hour of 10 am on a Sunday. Got to the convention center and wow! Overwhelming selection of RVs, campers, and huge motorhomes bigger than my first house. I'm not kidding.

Since I've been perusing the classifieds on line for at least the past six months, the kids and I sort of have an idea of what we're looking for. So not only did I find exactly that, I did find a few other options that might work as well. The cheapest option would be a step up from our pop-up camper -- a nice, small travel trailer with a huge dinette, a sofa, AND exactly what we need, a BUNK! The next step up is a slightly larger travel trailer that has TWO front bunks, and a hard-sided slide out queen bed. But the cool thing is, that the camper can be used with the sliding bed in. Meaning, we can pull over at a rest stop and actually go into the trailer, get a snack from the fridge, use our own toilet if needed, AND take a nap. How cool is that?? The downside is, I'd need a bigger tow vehicle. But not out of the question. (Heck, I can barely back the pop-up into a campsite, how am I going to manage a larger rig?? I can do it. I hope!)

The last option is a small Class C motorhome, no slide outs. I can see myself spending a lot of time in it. It can be ordered with twin beds in the back, rather than wasting space with a queen bed. On an extended trip, nobody wants to be sharing beds (unless it's with the puppies!). I can buy the rig today, with payments of $500 for 15 years. Uh, no. I'll likely be buying used and paying cash. But it's so cool just to actually be in the motorhome, rather than just looking at pictures.

Can't wait for the camping season to start!

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly Kennedy said...

No matter which one you buy, you'll have great memories years from now. Traveling with a camper or RV is a great way to see the country (yours or ours here in Canada!). Have fun this summer.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home