Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's Not You, It's Your Singing!

My kids and I have become American Idol fans after our run-in with their tour group last year in Hollywood. We enjoyed last season and settled in again this week to watch the newest hopefuls sing their hearts out for a chance for a golden ticket to Hollywood and a shot at becoming America's next Idol.

This week, out of 19,000 auditioners, only 24 were selected.

As I watched, I could see the similarities between talent auditions and the query process.

As writers, our auditions come in the form of the query letter. It has to pack punch, be fresh and exciting, and basically grab the attention of the agent. Do we have what it takes to get our golden ticket to Hollywood, the request for a partial or full? When our manuscript is in the hands of an agent (our Hollywood), will it stand up to more intense scrutiny? Is the plot solid? Does it grab the reader and propel them towards the end? Or does it give up, fall apart, and just not stand up to the pressure? Our final 24 is when an agent signs us. They like our stuff. They show it to others, seeking editors who share their passion about our writing. Will the editors vote for us? Or are they voting for our competition? Knowing our strengths, our uniqueness, and where we fit in the marketplace is invaluable.

Do we have what it takes to make the grade, to be published, our equivalent of winning American Idol? We don't know until we try.

Of course, television being television, has to show us the worst of the worst. Rarely do we get to see the ones that are almost there, just not quite ready this year. For them, there is more practice, coaching, singing, and then, they just may be ready next time around. We also get to see a few who made the grade. Seeing the winners next to the losers, it's obvious.

We writers just had a mini-version of this competition over on the Miss Snark's Crap-o-meter. Our audition: 250 words to hook Miss Snark. She is our Simon Cowell. She tells it like it is. Do you get a "Bingo! We have a winner on aisle 76!" or the dreaded, "WTF?" Seeing the winners alongside the losers was eye-opening. And also varying shades of gray and subjectivity.

I know I'm not quite ready to win my golden ticket. But since writing is fun, I'll keep at it. Maybe like one contestant on American Idol last night, my third time will be the charm.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing when I watched AI: audition=query.

As I said to my guys, thank God all my rejections took place in private!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Anissa said...

I like the analogy, hadn't thought of it that way, but so true! And Therese is right, thank God the query process is private.

Perseverance is my word of the day.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home