Monday, December 18, 2006

Buzz is Reading!

Buzz has been on a mission to read these past few months. Apparently, reading words here and there wasn't enough. He can figure most things out; he's been writing online on Neopets and regularly sends e-mails to me and his dad.

Last night he brought me a book and proceeded to read all of the captions without problems, including words such as hazardous, construction, alligator, toilet, and apology. I was impressed, and I think he impressed himself.

Such power a kid has when they have the knowledge that they, themselves, learned how to read, on their own!

Sure, he didn't learn to read in a vacuum. We read to him, he's surrounded by words, he asks tons of questions, and lately has been asking lots of 'how do you spell' questions in order to compose his e-mails. Basically, he learned because he had a desire to, and a need to. Kids want to figure out the world around them. And, they do!

3 Comments:

Blogger ORION said...

I would see this in my students - sometimes school effectively kills the desire to learn.
Way to go!
BTW I love your comments on my blog!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Zany Mom said...

As a kid I could never really figure out how what we were doing in the classroom translated to real life. It seemed far removed. I'm a hands-on learner, and I learn best by actually DOING, not hearing about it or seeing a few pictures.

Even now, when I go to professional conferences, I have to imagine I'm at work when the speaker is talking, in order to relate what they're saying to my daily professional life. Otherwise it just seems fake on their powerpoint presentation. Words on a screen, with a stray picture now and then.

4:32 PM  
Blogger The Princess Mom said...

Yay, Buzz! :D

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home