Sunday, August 19, 2007

Our RV Journey, Part 4


The storm breaks and behind it is the most gorgeous weather you could hope for. Sunny and warm, not a lick of humidity. We never even had to run the air conditioner. A nice breeze blew through our shaded campsite.

We were at Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington for Breyerfest. We'd gone last year, Lotus and I, and she wanted to do a few workshops, namely painting and etching horses. She's bought a few older models off of Ebay and wants to make them nice again.

The show in the arena plays daily, some parts twice daily. I watched while Lotus took her classes. I also got to stand in line to buy exclusive Breyerfest models (trust me when I say there are people out there who are serious collectors of these plastic horses!). Because the quest for some of these models is so competitive, lines are formed based on a lottery system of sorts.

First, sale times happen a few times a day. Festival goers are issued a ticket with a number on it (usually 1-350). You gather at your appointed time. The person in charge of the line holds a big bucket of numbers. He'll pick someone (usually a kid) to reach in and grab a number. Whoever holds that number gets to go first. The rest fall in line numerically. One time I was number 261, and the number picked was 273. Not good. Lotus didn't get the horse she really wanted, as there are limited quantities and they were sold out by the time the end of the line got there. The next time, I was number 67, and number 49 got to go first. This time I score for Lotus.

We stay in Kentucky, attending the festival for 3 days, then take two days to chill out. The pool is refreshing, we make s'mores over the campfire, walk the dogs, admiring other campsites and campers and RVs. We see a pop up that is very similar to the one we just sold, and are wistful for a moment. Just a fleeting moment, LOL. No way will I give up the comforts of my RV!

On our last night at Kentucky Horse Park, I decide to wash and Rain-X the windows. It's then that I notice that the rubber gasket holding the windshield in has pulled away from the RV. Could this be the source of my leak? I decide to call up one of the RV dealers listed on the campground map and ask if they can take a look. The guy is polite but refers me to a glass place they use. The glass guy is very helpful, and says he can take a look first thing in the morning instead of three days later as he'd originally suggested, because we were heading to Tennessee.

They fix the windshield in under an hour for $50, and we're on our way. After a breakfast stop at Cracker Barrel to let the RV sit so the window glue could dry, we head South. Smack into some more thunderstorms.

No guessing what happened next!

2 Comments:

Blogger ORION said...

It's been a while since I visited you!
So cool! The Kentucky horse park- My old saddlebred mare's picture is there- She was a champion hunter- very photogenic.
You are doing very much like we do with the boat-
similar life styles-
(Yes I know touloose has a heart shape on his chin - It will be quite lovely when I take him to the taxidermist to be stuffed after he provokes me for the last time! LOL (just kidding- I love the little bugger!)

12:04 AM  
Blogger The Princess Mom said...

I wish I would have saved my old Breyers. I'll be they're collector's items by now!

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home