Thursday, August 16, 2007

Our RV Journey, Part 2


After a good night's sleep, we head off to Ohio. The trip is largely uneventful, traffic no too bad, and we make it to Ohio by early afternoon. I know where we're going, but wouldn't you know that all of the major cities in Ohio start with the letter C? I take a wrong turn and head for Cleveland rather than Columbus. The internal compass in my head told me something was amiss, and a few miles later we found a rest area. Yup, we missed that turn back in Akron.

But the cool thing was, this rest area actually had RV spaces. With electric hookups. And a dump station! While we didn't need to park and plug in, it was nice to see you could spend the night without having to crank up the generator.

But we did need to dump. so I got to dump the sewage. Since owning the RV I've become sort of an expert in waste management, LOL. Little paper, lotsa water, and lotsa water. :) After cleaning up, I consult the map and find some back roads to take us where we need to go.

The trip to the campground was unevenful and we pulled in at dinnertime -- hot, tired and sweaty despite the air conditioning. I'm up for a dip in the pool; Lotus wants the wifi. We watch a movie and drift off to sleep.

In the middle of the night I'm awakened by a thunderstorm. My dogs are dead to the world and I'm ever thankful they don't suffer from storm phobias! Storms don't bug Lotus either; in fact I don't even think she woke up. So I drift off. Soon I'm awakened by the intensity of the storm and increasing winds and gusts. The RV is shaking so bad that I fear we're going to blow away to Kansas, that Lotus and I are going to die in our little metal tube in a tornado before we can even make it to Breyerfest (more on that later). I wonder why my weather radio hasn't blared an alert. Then I remember that I need to reset the station every time we stop. By the time I set the station, there was no warning blaring, just a blip about scattered thunderstorms. While fiddling with the radio, I noticed that my rear window is leaking. I stick a towel under it and drift off again as the winds subside.

Later, the winds pick up yet again. I'm glad I didn't put out the awning or I'd be out there in the pouring rain and wind trying to put it back. Wind can be deadly for RV awnings, and since I just bought the RV I don't need the expense of replacing it just yet. A light across the way turns on and pokes under my bedroom curtain. I lift the edge and see a tiny woman arguing with her much larger husband. I can't hear over the wind and thunder, but it's clear the wife wants to put the awning in, and her husband either thinks she's going to be struck by lightning and is just plain crazy, or else he just doesn't want to get wet; I thinks she's mad he won't help. Their body language says it all. Finally their awning is stored, the light goes off, and my peep show is over. Fortunately the storm dies down and I can finish my sleep.

Morning dawns and we eat a good breakfast before heading for Kentucky. And that's when I noticed the windshield leaks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home