Thursday, December 14, 2006

Scattered

In preparing myself to attempt to enter the world of publishing, I've been having trouble focusing on my writing. In other words, I haven't yet finished that second novel I set out to finish a few months ago. I love the story. I love the characters. I love their emotional journeys. But what I don't really have is a unifying theme, or a real plot (well, not really. Maybe I do if I could figure out how to end it).

Okay, so I'll set that one aside for the moment and fiddle with the first one, once again. Dive into the action. Cut out useless narrative. Tighten, tighten, tighten. And just when I think I've got it, I read and reread, and--all of a sudden I hate it, my sentences stink, and I'm left wondering, who the heck do I think I am, thinking I can write a novel and be published? Who the hell am I kidding?

Does every writer go through this? A recent test by my peers left me in the shredder. But I'm going to be shredded sooner or later, so why not now?

Sigh. I guess I need some Beta Readers. Any volunteers from the masses?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate Thornton said...

Tighten, tighten, tighten!

You might have a truly excellent novella or short story in there (wait, don't tighten it down to a flash!)

11:55 AM  
Blogger astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

If you'd like to be part of a great big THANK YOU to Miss Snark, send an e-mail to: redheartnovels@lesiavalentine.com

Include: Your thank you - no more than 7 words

A picture or avatar NOT in an attachment. Please don't send a link to it. I will not have time to go look up everyone's pic. If you don't have one, that's okay.

I've spammed just about everyone (forgive me!) because not everyone's address is available to me. If you know writers who would like to be part of this project, please pass the word, but let's try to surprise her with it. Thank you for your indulgence. I really am sorry about the spam, but I didn't want to leave you out!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home