Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas Season Woes

Yes, I'm a mom of two, and I can hear many of you out there bemoaning the nation of consumers we've become and how kids at this time of year have a bad case of the 'gimmes.'

I seem to have the opposite problem. Lotus had only two (yes, 2!) items on her Christmas list. I asked for other ideas, and she says, "Really, Mom, I don't need anything else." Uh, what planet are you from, kid? How am I supposed to buy you Christmas presents?? She's also 12, in that 'tween stage, between childhood and teenager status. Most toys are a bit young; some teen stuff too old. So now I have to use my imagination to get her some things she'll like.

As for Buzz? He's easy. Between skateboarding, Playstation, and Legos, we've got the bases covered.

But truly, I'm stumped. But it does show one thing: If you meet your childs needs (and by that I mean more than just the basic needs) but really listen to them, trust them, and respect them, and give them the freedom to be who they are, they're not needy. Intriguing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate Thornton said...

Books are always a good choice for gifts - I think Lotus would enjoy a lot of the YA adventure books out now.

You have the best, you know: Lotus & Buzz!

1:04 PM  
Blogger The Princess Mom said...

I've got the same problem. What Wolfie and Xavier really really wanted were traveller's socks with little zippered pockets in them. Go figure. LOL

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home