Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Our RV Journey, Part 6


By the time we're done with our late lunch with the relatives, it's after 5pm. I decide that rather than slog through miles of tourist traffic to get to the interstate, we'd take a more leisurely back roads route to Georgia. My goal was to see some local scenery and find a campground or big parking lot to overnight in.

The drive is gorgeous, the roads steep and winding, up and down. Farms and veggie stands, an occasional town. I got to use my engine to brake down the steep grades rather than burn out my brakes. I'm happy that I'm an info junkie and had read all about it online. Info like that comes in handy when you need it (though my mind is really a font of mostly useless information). The mountains give way to much flatter farmlands and some rolling hills. The road is straight and wide. In Maryville, TN, we received a huge friendly wave from a lady in a blue van. I mean, she was literally hanging out her window and smiling. They're real friendly down Tennessee way.

I find a Wal-Mart and a few campgrounds just before we hit the Georgia border, but I'm not quite ready to stop. Another hour or so and I'll be good. Mistake #1. There is nothing in North Georgia other than tiny towns with Dollar General stores. So I keep driving. Surely there will be a Wal-Mart or some other large box store where I can pull over. The road is endless. The dark is interrupted by an occasional small gas station or a corner store. No place to stop. I keep driving. By 10pm I finally hit the interstate. I'm hoping against hope that the interstate brings civilization, stores, and possibly a Cracker Barrel. Only a hotel and a truck stop. I pass the truck stop. Mistake #2.

We're almost to my sister's house, so let's just go there. The road narrows. The turns get tighter. And the next thing I know we're at a low underpass. I'm not worried about the height, I'm at least a foot under that. It's the WIDTH. My RV is 8.5 feet wide. Add another foot for the mirrors, at least. I swear the travel lane under the bridge was only a hairs-breadth wider than 9 feet. I inch through, very aware of the crunched guardrails striped with paint from numerous previous vehicles. Did I mention the dogs are nuzzling me? I forgot that I should have at least stopped to let them out. And it's then I realize that *I* also need to use the facilities. And now there is literally nowhere to pull over.

I keep driving. I've turned onto highway 61. Dark, narrow, windy. I pull over into a very steep turnout. The dogs disappear in the knee-high grass. I'm crossing my legs while hoping they (the dogs)don't pick up any ticks. I race back inside. Thank goodness for onboard facilities! We keep driving. And somehow end up back at the interstate. Apparently Route 61 veered right, and I went straight. I saw no signs. That's it. Now I'm tired and cranky and hungry and I'm just pulling over. Lotus finds the Exit book and we locate a Wal-Mart two exits down. We never did find the Wal-Mart, but ended up at Cracker Barrel next to an on-ramp under construction. They have two RV parking spots at the back. On a hill. Very steep. Even with my levelers we're never going to get the thing level, but I don't care at this point. I'm going to sleep and nothing is going to stop me. And we do.

Morning dawns and I stumble out of the RV, three dogs in tow, to find a young kid in a black apron sweeping the parking lot a couple of yards away. He calls out a cheery hello. I'm sure my hair is sticking up every which way and I probably look like I've been in a boxing match. But hey, I'm used to people seeing me this way. Remember the cop at 2 am a few posts back?

We leave before breakfast after consulting the map. We're less than 20 miles from my sister's house. I should mention that the Georgia highway department likes to play pranks on unsuspecting tourists. We head north on Highway 41, only to see it labeled a few miles later as Highway 3. Um, it's a 4-lane road. Where did 41 go? Nowhere does it say that 41, 3, and yes, 92, all run together here. I find a brand spankin' new shopping center and pull in. It's 7am, nothing's open, but I call my sister for directions. Did I tell you I'm very good with directions? But I shouldn't have bothered. I had to call her 3 more times. Note to self: don't drive in Georgia without a GPS.

We find her house and park in the driveway. It's 8am and already so humid the air is visible when you move your arms. Like fog. But not. And I knew the mosquitoes were gonna be bad when my sister emerged from her house automatically spritzing herself with bug spray as she walked. Now I remember why I didn't settle in Georgia after college. Humidity and I do not get along.

I love my sister and she has a very nice house, but I'm very glad I have my RV and my own bathroom. My sister has 48 cats. 'Nuff said. We visit, make cookies, see the local sites (where she works, where she collects cats), we do a little shopping (I'm still trying to score Lottery -- see previous post). I put flea stuff on my pets, update their heartworm stuff. Don't need any Georgia bugs infesting my RV. My sister tells of her contest winnings (furniture, cash off the radio). She's stuck on someday hitting it big. Though I don't think she plays the lottery. Does Georgia even have a lottery?

We decide it's time to do something touristy again. My sister suggests the laser show at Stone Mountain...

1 Comments:

Blogger Evie said...

I am ROFLMAO. I grew up in GA. I live in KS now. 'Nuff said! LOL My sister only owns 5 cats, but that is PLENTY. You don't say where your sister lives. We lived in Snellville, not far from Stone Mountain. GA does have a lottery, btw. :o)

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home