Thursday, December 07, 2006

It Figures

Been busy at work, busy polishing a hook for my novel for an upcoming Crap-O-Meter to see if my novel is ready for prime time. Also spent a bit of time debating the pros of unschooling to the skeptical masses, which was great for my debating skills, great for formulating my ideas into coherent paragraphs, great for writing practice, but bad for taking up my limited writing time. C'est la vie. I love a good mental challenge.

Ever have one of those days where you think the universe is playing jokes on you? Or that maybe you're just psychic? Or maybe my kids are psychic? We're having an open house at my business in a few days, so we've been polishing up the place. The goal is to make potential new clients know we exist, and to hopefully draw them to do business with us. I was talking with one of my assistants about how I needed to lock my office, as it's near the restrooms and I didn't need any uninvited guests poking around back there. I was fiddling with the doorknob and trying out my keys, to make sure I had one.

While I tried key after key, I recounted the story of how a few years back, my kids were playing with the door and locked it. I didn't know where the keys were at that time. A big annoyance, for sure, but Buzz was small, the walls don't go to the top, and there is a dropped ceiling. Perfect! We'd lowered Buzz over the wall and he unlocked the door. Yeah, didn't want that happening again, so once I found the key, I said I'd have to make sure I had the key on me when I locked the door during the open house.

Fast forward a few hours, and my kids come to work. I'm happily seeing clients, making money, keeping busy. I'm handed a stack of messages when I'm through, and I retreat to my office to make some phone calls. Buzz, Lotus, and a friend are all standing there like deer in the headlights. Seems the door is locked. And yes, my keys are in my purse, inside, next to my desk.

I am not a happy camper. No one has touched that doorknob since the prior incident. All three are denying touching the lock. At this point, I don't even have a ladder to even try the over-the-wall route. And Buzz is now three times the size he was years ago. Did I mention we're trying to clean the place for the open house??

I find the ladder and try to hoist Buzz over the wall. Of course, he's 8 and now very melodramatic. Going over the wall isn't going to happen. Where's MacGyver when you need him? An old broom handle, a long-handled Swiffer, a roll of wide bandage tape, and some thick wire bent into a hook, and voila! The purse is retrieved, keys inside, and crisis averted.

So, why did I even mention the locked door incident this morning? Wonder what will happen next. Is it Friday yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home