Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pennsylvania

After spending two rainy weeks ripping up linoleum, playing with epoxy resins and filler, I finally fixed the three sections of floor rot in the camper. The cost came to the amount I convinced Cheech to refund me, seeing as his floor was anything but mint condition. Considering that I'm not experienced with laying linoleum, it came out nearly perfect, if I do say so myself. That and caulk hides a myriad of imperfections. But hey, it's only a camper!

I quit my second job, took a 4-hour nap, then took off for Pennsylvania. Buzz chose to attend skateboard camp, and seeing how it was his first time at a sleep-away camp, Lotus and I thought we'd camp nearby, 'just in case.'

This was my maiden voyage towing anything and popping up the camper(after minimal practice at home during repairs). Got about an hour from home when suddenly we heard a huge clunk that sounded like we'd hit something. I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw black flying down the highway behind us. Buzz said he thought the chains were dragging so we pulled over and discovered the front wheel dropped down (I thought I'd tightened it tight). The plastic wheel on the tongue jack was shredded from hitting the pavement and dragging. Fortunately the mechanism wasn't damaged, so I raised it tightened it more securely.

At the next rest stop I noticed that the wheel was low again. This time it wasn't the raising/lowering mechanism, but the crank apparently was twisting in the wind and it was lowering itself. A small bungee cord solved that problem. The wheel will be replaced.

The second issue was the awning -- the self-tightening poles -- only 1 works properly; 1 works so-so, and the last won't tighten at all. Was able to get the awning up so it stayed in a usable fashion for the duration, but learned an important lesson (especially if you are short!) -- put the awning up before you raise the roof!

Our campsite was fairly small so it's a good thing we didn't have next-door neighbors. Considering I'd been working 80-hours a week up until the morning we left, with just 4 hours of sleep, the only thing we forgot? Pajamas for the kid who was going to camp the next day, the milk, and fire starter. After burning through all of the sale flyers and local papers tucked in the back of the car, plus using kindling (all of the wood at the campground was damp as was the kindling), we had nothing but a firepit full of smoke. I'm surprised no natives came out of the woods, seeing we were sending up smoke signals. A neighbor across the way with a fire pit bigger than our camper kindly donated a huge shovelful of coals to us.

I figured out the camp stove though I still hate that Poof! Did I mention I am deathly afraid of matches? And gas poofs?? I will buy a LONG handled lighter for next time. Got my tabletop grill working as well--that was an adventure unto itself as the only thing we did not have to do during assembly was stamp the sheet metal ourselves. Also realized I needed an adapter for the electric -- they had 30 amp outlets and my camper cord is 15 amp. Fortunately the camp store carried those. We ended up not really using the lights anyway, just the fans at night. We used bug candles and the fire.

All told it was an excellent trip. An unexpected bonus was that we were in the middle of Amish country -- I thought they were mostly in Lancaster County but there were many where we were -- lots of buggies everywhere, huge farms, etc.

Buzz went off to camp, Lotus and I enjoyed camping and seeing some local sights. And on the way home we eagerly planned our next trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home