Tuesday, August 29, 2006

We bought a camper!

I'd been working long hours, moonlighting, and essentially working 80 hours a week, with no day off. So as the end of my sentence neared, I started thinking about camping. The kids and I have always dreamed of traveling the country in an RV, but for now, we could start small and local.

Well, even a used RV is out of my current price range, so late one night, at work (did I mention I worked 14-hour night shifts?), it was slow, and I found myself on eBay searching through pages of pop-up campers.

See, we'd had one a few years back, a 1979 model my dad had picked up for $200. Pristine condition in spite of the orange vinyl and brown plaid cushions. The canvas was not mildewed, no leaks. Granted, the sink no longer worked, but for a tent on wheels it was great. Dad had bought new tires, had the bearings repacked and greased, and had put a second leak-proof roof coating on top. We took it out twice, then the kids used it mainly in the yard as a playhouse. But then, the ex--who hated used and ugly things--didn't close it up properly and over the winter the mice destroyed it. But I digress...

Too many choices, too many models, too many floor plans. Side dinette or U? Gaucho or counter? Shower and potty or not? New model or old? Looking back I lucked out, but in the end we chose a very simple camper, advertised in mint condition (and looked it by the pics), and bought.

Made it a family adventure of driving to get it (it was in New Jersey). It was a rainy, overcast day, complete with some thunder and lightning thrown in. We took the dogs and made a day out of it. Stopped at an old-fashioned 50's diner on the way, each booth complete with a table-sized juke box.

The guy who sold us the camper was a character out of a bad TV movie -- a dude named Cheech, deep voice and typical NY accent, but late 30s, white, overweight, buzz cut, 80s glasses, who drove a late-model sedan ...

He, of course, was late, and given my time crunch (had to be at work by 6), gave us mere minutes to check it over before just hitching up and driving off. Popped it half-way up, and it was in PERFECT shape. Dry, no mildew or odors. But the pink curtains have got to go. Of course, Cheech didn't really own the camper (go figure) and had no clue how to hitch it up. Finally figured it out. This was my very first time towing and I managed to do fine. Didn't even notice the camper behind me.

All was well and good, despite a cargo door popping open on the camper on the way home. Did I mention Cheech gave us a camper plate that had expired in 1977?

First thing the next morning the kids are begging to set it up. In the rain. With a steady dance of caterpillar poop on the ceiling. Yes, the gypsy moths picked this year to eat the oak trees in the yard down to twigs. Anyway, I've never opened a camper in my life. How hard could it be? Let's just say after an hour and a few choice words about how the bunk supports went in we had success.

The kids played in that all day, in the rain, with board games and snacks, while I slept (that night job, you know). We were antsy to go camping.

Until, that is, I discovered the rotten floor...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home